A hair transplant is a procedure that is usually done to an area of your head which may be thinning or balding. This is a procedure that is done by taking hair from the thicker parts of the scalp or other body parts. Then the taken hair is transplanted to the thinning or balding sections.
Worldwide, there are about 60% men and 40% women, who experience some form of hair loss. Due to these hair loss problems they use different kinds of products, including tropical treatments also. Therefore, hair transplant is one of the best restoration methods and is good for hair harmony and you. The first hair transplant was done in Japan in 1939.
Does the hair transplant work?
Hair transplant methods are usually the most effective methods than other restoration products. Have a look to know if they work or not.
- About 10 to 80% of transplanted hair, will fully grow back in an estimated 3-4 months period. The transplanted hair will be thin over time.
- This procedure is less effective to the people having less dormant hair follicles (sacs that contain hair beneath the skin but do not show any growth).
These are the points that clarify that hair transplants don’t work for everyone. Most of the hair transplants are done with your existing hairs. So, these are not effective for people treating:
- Hair loss due to chemotherapy or any medications.
- Thick scalp scars due to injuries.
- Widespread thinning and baldness.
How much does the hair transplant costs?
Hair transplants can usually range from $4000 to $15,000 per session. Therefore, the final costing depends on the following:
- Experience of the surgeon.
- The surgical technique is chosen.
- Availability of surgeons in your area.
- Extend the transplant procedure.
The hair transplant procedure is based on cosmetics, so health insurance won’t be able to pay for it. Hence, the aftercare medications will also be added to your final cost of hair transplant.
How does hair transplant work?
Here are the steps that will tell you how the hair transplant work. Have a look to know in details:
- In a hair transplant procedure, hair is taken and is simply transplanted to the area where you don’t have hair.
- The hairs are usually taken from the back of your head or other body parts.
- Before, starting the hair transplant procedure, your surgeon will sterilize the area from where the hair is to take.
- After that, he numbs the part by giving local anesthesia. You can also request your surgeon for sedation to fall asleep during the process.
After, the above mentioned four steps are complete. Your surgeon will perform one of the two methods: FUT and FUE.
- FUT (Follicular Unit Transplantation): FUT is also known as FUSS (Follicular Unit Strip Surgery). To perform this surgery the following steps are taken.
STEP 1: With the help of a scalpel, the surgeon removes a part of your scalp. The size of the strip is around 6 to 10 inches.
STEP 2: After this, they close the area where the scalp was removed with stitches.
STEP 3: Then the surgeon and the assistants do small pieces of the scalp strip using a scalpel. They split the piece in 2000 small fragments known as grafts. Therefore, some of the grafts contain one hair each.
STEP 4: Using a blade or needle surgeon do holes in your scalp where the transplantation is to be done.
STEP 5: After all this, the surgeon inserts hair into the punctured holes. Therefore, this procedure is known as grafting.
Hence, the number of grafts you receive depends on the type of hair, size of transplant site, hair color and quality of the hair.
- FUE (Follicular Unit Extraction):
STEP 1: Your surgeon will shave your hair, from the back of your head. Then he/she will take individual follicles out of the scalp skin. You can easily see the tiny marks from where the hair follicle was removed.
STEP 2: After this, the same FUT procedure will take place. The surgeon will make small holes in your scalp and will graft hair follicles into that.
STEP 3: They then cover it will bandages or gauze.
This procedure of FUE and FUT will take several days or hours to recover. This will depend on the work performed by your surgeon. Therefore, you will get discharged on the same day of the surgery. But for a few days, your doctor will prescribe you some important things.
- Pain medications, like ibuprofen.
- Antibiotics, for prevention of infections.
- Medications such as finasteride or minoxidil to stimulate hair growth.
Taking proper care of yourself is the best option for your hair harmony and you.
AFTER-CARE TIPS: Some of the tips are mentioned here have a look:
- You should return to normal activities or work in about 3 days.
- Don’t press brush or come to your hair on a new graft for around 3 weeks.
- Don’t wear hats or any kind of pullover shirt, till the time your doctor says Ok.
- Don’t exercise for a week.
Before going to a doctor, you should check if he/she is licensed or not. You should also ask them for a portfolio and should check a record for a successful hair transplant.
Before you decide for a surgery, you should go and talk to your surgeon first. As because it is very much important for you to understand each and every aspect of surgery.