It’s that time of year again. Time to decide how you want the new year to be. How you want to be in the new year. It’s a time for contemplation and reflection. For me, it’s a time to choose a word to focus on. It’s a word I want to aspire to. A word that will help me become a better person. I’ll end up using it frequently to remind me of my goal.
This year, my word is ‘connect.’
God has called us into a relationship with Him and others (just check out the 2 most important commandments). In order to have a meaningful relationship, you must connect with another person.
As an introvert…an avid reader…a stay-at-home mom…writer…(you get the gist) connecting with others isn’t easy. Often times, I’d much rather stay in a world of my choosing, whether that’s via reading a book or writing one.
But God didn’t call me to sit in my house, day in and day out. As much as I like the comfort of my home and the security it offers me, it by no means stretches me or help me grown.
God wants us to continuously improve. It’s why He’s the potter and we’re the clay. He molds us to be used by Him in furtherance of His kingdom. And He is calling me to connect. To connect with Him. To connect with the people in my life. And the ones I have yet to meet. As I sit and contemplate on 2016, I can see how connecting is what I need to focus on in 2017.
So what does connecting with others look like? To me it’s:
- Spending time with my Lord and Savior.
- “God is faithful, by whom ye were called unto the fellowship of his Son Jesus Christ our Lord.” – 1 Corinthians 1:9 KJV
- Spending time with others.
- “Not forsaking the assembling of ourselves together, as the manner of some is; but exhorting one another: and so much the more, as ye see the day approaching.” – Hebrews 10:25 KJV
- Putting my faith into action.
- “For as the body without the spirit is dead, so faith without works is dead also.” – James 2:26 KJV
3 simple things which I’m sure won’t seem so simple when I try and put it into action. But I will. I want to improve. Want to connect and develop real relationships. How else can I share the love of Christ?
What’s your 2017 word?