I enjoy watching the variety of birds that feed at my feeders. At times, I’ve counted nearly fifty Goldfinches clamoring for a spot or scavenging for seeds that have fallen to the ground. I’m amazed how, in a few short weeks, their bright, yellow feathers of summer are replaced by the dull, brown plumage of winter. This God-given camouflage provides them added protection to survive.
God’s care and provision are manifested in all of creation. Yet in His sermon on the mount, Jesus assured us that God loves us much more than birds.
“Look at the birds of the air; they do not sow or reap or store away in barns, and yet your heavenly Father feeds them. Are you not much more valuable than they?” (Matthew 6:26)
What a wonderful reminder of God’s love and provision!
Each Thanksgiving my family has the tradition of sharing thoughts on what we’re thankful for. Yet I wonder, are there more practical/beneficial ways to express our gratitude to God?
Matthew 25:40 says, “whatever you did for one of the least of these brothers and sisters of mine, you did for me.”
So then, when we bless others, we are blessing God.
That thought started me brainstorming ideas of how we can show God our gratitude instead of just telling Him. Soon I’d compiled a list of ways we can express our gratitude to God by touching the lives of others.
Here’s my top 20 picks!
1) Spend some quality one-on-one time with your spouse.
2) Hug your children.
3) Send a Thinking of You card to someone on your heart.
4) Share a meal with someone who can’t or isn’t able to return the favor.
5) Pray with someone who’s hurting.
6) Offer to take a shut-in on an outing.
7) Give to a worthy charity.
8) Be someone’s hands or feet.
9) Send a care package to a missionary or military person.
10) Invite someone who has no place to go to your Thanksgiving gathering.
12) Smile at a stranger.
13) Lend a helping hand to someone who’s struggling.
14) Visit someone in a nursing home or assisted living.
15) Be a listening ear to someone.
16) Reach out to someone who’s lost a loved one.
17) Share the gift of laughter.
18) Help someone in need.
19) Show forgiveness toward someone who has hurt you.
20) Tell someone thank you!
Do you have an idea to add to my list? I’d love to hear it!