Seasons of Change | Drawing Close to God

Seasons of Change | Drawing Close to God

I love fall! The colorful leaves, the crisp, cool air, the combines harvesting in the fields, campfires, wiener roasts, apples, pumpkins, warm days and cool nights. Everything about it!

The change in seasons reminds me of how we go through various stages of life as we venture from adolescence to adulthood. Within each stage, lies the opportunity to deepen our relationship with God, or deplete it. Our spring, yields new life, growth, youthfulness, and vigor, when we feel we can take on the world and accomplish anything. We have a God-given zest for life when we are young that often determines which path our lives will take.

Then there’s summer, when we face the harsh realities of life–the struggle to make ends meet–but also taste of its rich blessings. Meeting the love of our lives, starting and raising a family, making career choices, and putting down roots. Here we see either our faith thrive or shrivel as we seek to balance the cares of living.

Summer soon turns to fall, with thoughts of the empty nest and adjusting to life without children in the household, the joy of grandchildren, and saving for retirement. It’s in this stage, we begin to taste the urgency of life and living each day to the fullest for Christ.

Lastly, comes the winter of our lives, when things that once seemed oh, so important have faded, and the true treasures of life come to surface. When we let go of self-consciousness, pride, and ambition, and replace it with either joy or bitterness.

As my summer of life fades and my fall begins, I have to ask myself, what have I accomplished? And what have I yet to accomplish? Time is precious, and we must make the most of it. Life flitters by so fast. So often we get caught up in the bustle and forget what really counts. Whatever our aspirations in life, remember–only what’s done for Christ will last.

Whichever stage of life you’re in, I urge you to live intentionally, making the most of every opportunity for Christ. “For to me, to live is Christ and to die is gain.” (Philippians 1:21) What do you hold most dear as you journey through life? Which stage has been the most challenging?

Be Sociable, Share!
Cynthia Roemer About Cynthia Roemer

Cynthia Roemer is a Christian writer from rural Illinois with a heart for scattering seeds of hope into the lives of others through her writing. She and her husband, Marvin, have been married for twenty-two years and have two teenage sons. Find out more at her website: http://cynthiaroemer.com/

Comments

1. Laurie Driesen says:

I love how you described the seasons of life. Great post! As I get older I do feel the urgency to do more meaningful things for the Lord.

[Reply]

2. Thanks, Laurie! Time has a way of slipping away. We must make the most of each new day. Blessings!

[Reply]

3. Great questions. My life is changing seasons in many ways, so I need to consider how living intentionally looks in my new season.

[Reply]

4. Amen! Something we all need to ponder. Thanks, Lisa!

5. Janet K Brown says:

I love fall colors. Beautiful pic, Cynthia. We traveled to Colorado in Sept. & saw the gorgeous golden aspen at & near Estes Park. In Texas, we’re not quite there yet. It was hot yesterday. I did my morning quiet time on our patio. I looked at the big oak in the back yard, and it had about 3 top branches that were slightly yellowed. I rejoiced. Fall is on the way. Then last night, it cooled down. It’s coming!

[Reply]

6. Nothing like being out on a walk in the fall, enjoying God’s creation. Thanks for sharing, Janet! Blessings!

[Reply]

7. While the seasons of life is not a new topic, I love how you broke it down. I’m full into the fall of my life, and yes, every moment seems to count while back in the spring and the summer, it never occurred to me that wasted moments would have an effect later on.

[Reply]

8. Thanks, Linda. I’m so glad you were blessed. Yes. Time seems to slip by all too quickly. Praise God we have only better things to look forward to with Him in Heaven someday! Thanks for your insights!

9. Ann Doohan says:

Hi Cynthia, i have been in a difficult season lately with my husband being ill, but God is good and is helping me through, blessings.

[Reply]

10. Yes, Ann. I’m so sorry. Will continue to pray for you and for your husband’s physical and spiritual healing. God grant you comfort, peace and strength during this difficult season!

11. Ann Doohan says:

Thanks Cynthia, you are a true friend, will pray for America as you have the election in a few weeks, God bless

[Reply]

12. Thank you so much, Ann. Blessings to you too!

13. Madonna J. says:

Hi, ladies. Thanks for sharing the love (of God). You can feel it especially during those tough times that we go through. My husband and I are going through financial hardship right now, but by the grace of God we will get through it. For He is Jehovah Jireh, the Lord our provider. After all, He said that He would supply all of our needs according to His riches and glory. Please keep us, my family, in your prayers. I would like to return here later with an update regarding our testimony in Jesus name. Amen.

Cherie Burbach

Cherie Burbach Reply:

Madonna,

I said a prayer for your family. May God’s grace surround you.

14. Madonna J. says:

By the way, since we are currently experiencing financial hardship, does anyone know of any work at home opportunities that are legitimate such as some writing gigs, or any other suggestions, and how to get started? Please advise, and thanks for your advice and support in advance. Shalom.

[Reply]

15. Amen! Will do, Madonna. May the Lord continue to meet your every need.

[Reply]

16. If you are a writer, there are always possibilities. You can submit articles/short stories and receive payment. However, it takes weeks sometimes months to receive an acceptance and payment. Get a copy of the Christian Writer’s Market Guide (last year’s copy is usually half-price) to find publishers that seek your type of material. It includes many helpful ideas to market your writing. I hope this helps.