“let us draw near to God with a sincere heart in full assurance of faith, having our hearts sprinkled to cleanse us from a guilty conscience and having our bodies washed with pure water. Let us hold unswervingly to the hope we profess, for he who promised is faithful. And let us consider how we may spur one another on toward love and good deeds. Let us not give up meeting together, as some are in the habit of doing, but let us encourage one another – and all the more as you see the Day approaching.” Hebrews 10:22-25 NIV
As I flip through TV channels or scroll through social media, I can’t help but become discouraged at the state of our country and our world. I find myself wanting to ignore all the bad news because continuous doses cause worry. My faith can quickly turn into an apathy bathed in a feeling of ‘what can I do?’ and ‘why should I even try?’
Then I read a passage like the one above from Hebrews and I scold myself for not bolstering my faith in a trustworthy God and obeying His commands to stay away from those faithless feelings.
Here’s some points I got directly from this passage to encourage me out of the doldrums and on to what God would want from me. Maybe these points might help you in your journey.
- When you feel worry or discouragement creep in, draw near to God.
- Take heart that as a Christian, you have been made right with God.
- Hold tight to the hope you have through Christ.
- Remember, you are promised eternal life in heaven. What a hope!
- God’s promises are yes and amen.
- Despite the darkness in the world, find every way to spur on your fellow believers in love and good deeds. Everyone needs some encouragement from fellow believers. And you’re called to show love and do good deeds no matter what is done to you.
- Don’t stop meeting with fellow believers in your local church. You need this family of believers more than ever.
- Your church family can be a welcomed place of encouragement and understanding. A feeling of “we’re all in this together” is nice to share with others.
- As the Day of Christ’s coming nears, you need to keep your chin up even more and encourage your fellow believers to do the same.
Sweet brothers and sisters in Christ, please allow me to begin with an encouraging message from me to you as God has commanded us to do.
Stay focused on God. As dark as this world may become, remember this is as close to hell as we’ll ever get. You and I have the promise of a life in heaven together. Let’s keep telling others in hopes that they’ll join us there. And should you and I never meet face to face, I’ll see there!